Vidyaniketan began as a modest schooling experiment nearly half a century ago and quickly grew to become the education behemoth that it is today. About 50 years go Tumkur was just a small town with very few good English medium schools and an enormous demand for seats. And so it was in January 1971 that a group of good friends got together and decided to start an English medium school.
The idea quickly gained momentum and Vidyaniketan was registered with the late Sri M Chikkanniappa as president and Dr C Jayarama Rao as secretary. They overcame the problem of funds with every member contributing Rs 100 which formed the nucleus of the fund. In the end, they were able to amass Rs 3000! But there were other tough obstacles to surmount, such as finding accommodation and obtaining requisite government permissions. Finally, the school started in a little garage in Someswarapuram extension in July 1971, with the blessings of Dr Sri Sri Shivakumaraswamiji who inaugurated the school and late Sri TN Kempahonnaiah as chief guest.

When it began, the school had just 13 admissions. Predictably, parents were reluctant to send their children to a school that was being run in a garage. Two years later, things started looking up when the school moved to a rented building in KR Extension and children could be taught in a better environment. As the years rolled by, the school got bigger and sought help again, this time from Vidyodaya Law College whose premises was used for some time.
However, those at the helm quickly realised that it was imperative for the school to have its own building. A site was procured while friends and well-wishers of the school generously donated funds. The foundation stone was laid on in June 1976 by Dr Sri Sri Sri Shivakumara Swamiji and Sri S Meenakshi Sundaram, the then Deputy Commissioner, who continued to be a well wisher of the institution. Construction was completed the next year and the school moved into the new premises. Subsequently, the building was extended every year to accommodate new classes.
But the institution’s problems were far from over. As the school’s strength grew and the first batch completed Standard 7, fresh obstacles cropped up with regard to government permission for high school. But they were eventually overcome and classes for Standard 8 were started in 1980. However, because there had been a delay in the process, students had left to join other schools and there were only 12 students in high school the first year but the school never lost heart. In fact, it was a testimony to the school’s excellence that demand for seats quickly grew and a second section was opened in both primary and high schools.